The World Health Organization says the 2026 Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has become the largest recorded in the country, underscoring the scale of a public-health emergency that has spread across multiple provinces.
WHO said in an Aug. 14 update that the Bundibugyo-virus outbreak had reached 54 health zones in six provinces. The agency reported 4,665 confirmed cases and 2,184 deaths as of Aug. 12, describing the outbreak as larger than the country’s 2018–2020 Ebola epidemic.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported higher cumulative figures in an update dated Aug. 17, citing 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 confirmed deaths as of Aug. 15. Differences in totals can reflect reporting cutoffs and the timing of case verification.
What health agencies are reporting
Ebola disease can cause severe illness and is spread through direct contact with the blood or other body fluids of an infected person, according to public-health agencies. Outbreak response typically relies on rapid case detection, isolation, contact tracing, infection-control measures and community engagement.
WHO said the current outbreak’s geographic reach has complicated the response. Health systems in affected areas must continue routine care while managing surveillance, laboratory work and support for families and frontline workers.
The CDC said no cases linked to this outbreak had been reported in the United States. It assessed the risk to the American public and to travelers as low, while continuing to monitor the situation alongside international partners.
Why the figures matter
The scale of the reported case count makes the outbreak a major test of regional health capacity. Public-health reporting is updated as investigations confirm cases, revise classifications and incorporate information from affected locations. That is why totals should be read with the date of each update in mind.
For readers in the United States, the immediate public-health message is not one of