- To read about Jack the Ripper’s astonishing link to the Freemasons and a chilling cover-up, sign up for The Crime Desk newsletter HERE
- Which cases would you like to read more about? Let us know at: crimedesk@dailymail.co.uk
- View more Daily Mail on Google – save us as a preferred source
Double murderer Simon Levy strangled a prison guard and stabbed him with a pen as he awaited trial for murder, a court heard today.
The 41-year-old sexual predator, who murdered two women, raped and nearly killed a third while on bail for multiple sexual assaults, now faces new charges of strangulation and assault.
Details emerged for the first time today after Levy was sentenced last week to life in prison for the murders of Carmenza Valencia-Trujillo, 53, Sheryl Wilkins, 39, and the near-fatal suffocation and rape of a third woman last year.
Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard the partially blind killer jumped on a male prison officer during a meeting at Belmarsh Prison on February 18 this year.
He is accused of stabbing the guard several times with the ‘weapon’ in the direction of his neck and in the arm.
Prosecutor David Burns told the court: ‘He attacked him and stabbed him several times in the arm and neck with a pen.’
When the officer fell to the ground during the alleged assault, Levy allegedly grabbed his throat.
The prosecutor continued: “He grabbed him by the throat and felt his grip tighten around his throat.
Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard the partially blind killer jumped on a male prison officer during a meeting at Belmarsh Prison on February 18 this year
Levy was sentenced last week to life in prison for two murders, including that of Sheryl Wilkins, 39, and the near-fatal asphyxiation and rape of a third woman last year
The 41-year-old sexual predator killed Carmenza Valencia-Trujillo, 53
‘The attack is aggravated by the fact that it involves an attack on a prison guard.’
But Jason Lartey, defending, said his client denied assaulting the officer in any way.
Levy spoke during the hearing only to confirm his name and date of birth and to enter not guilty pleas.
He appeared via video link from prison for the short hearing to deny charges of strangulation with intent and assault on a person occasioning actual bodily harm.
But Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram appeared to know nothing of his history and asked Mr Lartey: “What is your client’s position? He’s a prisoner, isn’t he?’
The lawyer replied: ‘Yes judge, he was sentenced to life imprisonment on Wednesday.’
Judge Mark Lucraft said last week the double murderer had a ‘morbid fascination with sex, rape and crime’ as he sentenced him to a life tariff at the Old Bailey.
Detectives believe Levy carried out daily attacks for years, ranging from groping women on the London Underground to rape, choking and ultimately murder.
Although he had been convicted of sexual assault since 2018, the British Transport Police, Metropolitan Police and magistrates all failed to realize the danger he posed. Levy was released on bail four times, leaving him free to stalk the transportation network on a daily basis and claim countless victims.
While out on bail, he committed at least six assaults on the subway. Levy raped and suffocated a sex worker and left her for dead in January last year, before committing two murders months later.
Police and prosecutors have apologized for failing to put him behind bars.
The latest charges have been sent to Inner London Crown Court for trial, with a hearing on September 14.