A 22-year-old Somali small boat migrant stabbed an asylum hotel welfare officer ‘several times’ with a large kitchen knife, a court has heard.
Abdifatah Yusuf Adani stabbed Aaron Gomes at the Stanwell Hotel in the west London on Saturday, August 15 at approximately 6:30 PM.
Armed officers from Surrey Police rushed to the hotel and found Mr Gomes, a man in his 30s, with life-threatening injuries.
Adani was subsequently arrested, later charged with attempted murder and subsequently remanded in custody before appearing at Staines Magistrates’ Court today.
Prosecutor Lucy Lumsden told the court: “The complainant, Aaron Gomes, worked as a welfare officer at the asylum hotel.
“This defendant stabbed him several times until Mr. Gomes lost his balance before managing to escape. The police attended and began to administer first aid to Mr. Gomes.
‘He had lost a significant amount of blood, was very pale and was going in and out of consciousness.’
Ms Lumsden said Mr Gomes was stabbed five times, two in his upper body and three in his leg.
Abdifatah Yusuf Adani stabbed Aaron Gomes at the Stanwell Hotel in West London at around 6.30pm on Saturday, August 15.
One of the knife wounds caused a “significant” injury to his upper body after the knife pierced his chest, she added.
Fortunately, Mr Gomes was immediately taken to hospital where he is now in stable condition.
Adani appeared in court wearing a gray tracksuit and was assisted by a Somali interpreter.
He spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address before being taken into custody ahead of his next hearing at Guildford Crown Court on September 17.
The court also heard that Adani entered the UK via a small boat.
The day after the attack, a significant police presence remained outside the hotel, just miles from Heathrow Airport.
A statement from the Metropolitan Police earlier said: ‘Abdifatah Yusuf Adani, 22, has been charged with one count of attempted murder this evening following a reported stabbing at the Stanwell Hotel in Stanwell at 6.30pm last night.
‘Adani, a Somali national, has been remanded in custody and will appear at Staines Magistrates Court tomorrow morning at 10am.
“The victim, a man in his 30s who is a staff member at the hotel, is now in a stable condition and his injuries are no longer life-threatening.
“There remains an increased police presence in the area.”
Stanwell Hotel first closed its doors to the public four years ago when the government announced plans to use the property to house migrants.
However, new plans could see the site turned back into a hotel for business and leisure travelers.
Under the proposal, the Town Lane building would be modernised, renovated and extended, with the number of rooms increasing from 56 to 96.
According to the Local Democracy Reporting Service, asylum seekers currently staying at the hotel are expected to move if the plans are approved.
Developers said the improvements were intended to ‘modernize the hotel and secure its future as part of the village economy’.
The Home Office previously confirmed it has committed to ending the use of hotels for asylum seekers and is working to find alternative accommodation.