FDA warns Americans not to confuse poppers with energy shots

FDA issues new warning about ‘poppers’ – the sex-enhancing drug sold in gas stations that Americans are confusing with energy drinks and DYING

Americans are cautioned not to confuse “poppers” with energy drinks when they go to gas stations.

The Food and Drug Administration warned that people accidentally drank the sexual stimulants sold in similarly small and brightly colored bottles.

They said people died or had to be hospitalized after drinking poppers, which are sold as “solvents” and are not intended for human consumption.

It comes after the FDA warned people about the dangers in 2021, saying drinking poppers could lead to seizures, comas and death.

Both have similar packaging which has caused confusion before

The Food and Drug Administration warns people not to confuse poppers (right) with energy shots. They say the mistake could be fatal

Poppers are sold at gas stations across the US and are popular in the party culture and certain communities, including the LGBT community.

People inhale poppers — which contain alkyl nitrites — which are quickly absorbed from the lungs into the bloodstream and travel to the brain.

This can cause a rush of blood to the head, an accelerated heart rate, and feelings of relaxation and euphoria

They are often used as a sexual stimulant or at raves where people inhale them to enhance their experience.

But they are also sold in small 10- to 30-milliliter bottles with bright colors that closely resemble energy drink shots, which can lead to mispurchases.

The FDA said in its warning, “A single mistake can be fatal.

“We continue to receive reports of people dying or being seriously injured after consuming poppers similar to, and [are] often confused with popular energy shots.’

They add, “Drinking or inhaling poppers puts your health at serious risk.”

Poppers are not considered dangerous when inhaled, as people are generally given a low dose.

But when ingested, the chemicals in them cause a sudden dilation of the blood vessels in the body.

This can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, loss of consciousness, and even death.

The chemicals can also affect parts of the digestive system causing serious damage and leading to inflammation, ulcers and damage to the lining of the stomach and small intestine.

People who have previously died from drinking poppers include a 22-year-old Australian man, whose case was reported in 2017.

The person drank poppers while attending the five-day Rainbow Serpent dance festival, outside Melbourne, and went into cardiac arrest before dying.

In another incident reported from the UK in 2020, a woman died on the same day she drank an entire bottle of a popper.

The FDA does not release estimates of the number of people who die each year after drinking poppers in the US.

Poppers are not regulated in the US because they are sold as “cleaners” or “solvents” with labels indicating they are not intended for human consumption.

They have never been approved for human consumption.

Dr. Judy McMeekin, a pharmacist at the FDA, said in 2021: “Make no mistake, swallowing or inhaling poppers puts your health at serious risk.

“These chemicals can be corrosive and damage the skin or other tissues they come into contact with, cause difficulty breathing, extreme drops in blood pressure, decreases in blood oxygen levels, seizures, heart rhythm disturbances, coma and death. Do not ingest or inhale under any circumstances.’