Urgent warning is issued for Australian cocaine users over fears a ‘batch’ is tainted with heroin after two people overdosed
Cocaine users are being asked to carry naloxone after a person dies from accidentally ingesting heroin.
Authorities say a batch of the suspected cocaine containing heroin is circulating in Sydney.
Two other people were hospitalized for a heroin overdose after using what they thought was cocaine.
Darren Roberts, medical director of the NSW Poisons Information Centre, said snorting just one line of heroin could lead to an overdose.
Cocaine users are being asked to carry naloxone after a person dies from accidentally ingesting heroin
“One of the dangers of the illicit supply of drugs is that the strength and content of the substance you receive is unknown and can be inconsistent,” Dr Roberts said.
“It is important that people recognize the signs of an opioid overdose early and know how to respond.”
Opioids such as heroin can cause pinpoint pupils, drowsiness, loss of consciousness, slowed breathing/snoring and blue/graying of the skin.
Dr. Roberts suggested that people who use cocaine consider taking naloxone with them.
Naloxone is a drug that reverses the effects of opioids and does not require a prescription. It is free in NSW for people at risk of accidental overdose.
It is available as a nasal spray or injection from some pharmacies and other health services.
NSW Health said anyone who has used a stimulant drug, such as cocaine, and is experiencing unexpected symptoms should call Triple Zero
“You won’t have any problems if you seek medical help. If you’re not feeling well, or your friend is not feeling well, do something about it,” NSW Health said in a statement.
Two other people were hospitalized for a heroin overdose after using what they thought was cocaine