Taylor Swift fan Ana Clara Benevides’ official cause of death was ‘exhaustion’ after 23-year-old died in the extreme heat of Brazil concert, autopsy report reveals
- Ana Clara Benevide's death after attending a Taylor Swift concert in Rio de Janeiro was caused by extreme heat
- The university student was rushed from Nilton Santos Stadium to a local hospital, where she later died
- Temperatures in the city reached about 105F that day
An autopsy report has revealed that a young woman died of heat exhaustion after becoming ill at a Taylor Swift concert in Brazil.
Ana Benevides, 23, went into cardiac arrest while Swift was singing her second song of the night, Cruel Summer, during the first show of 'The Eras Tour' in Rio de Janeiro on November 17, where temperatures in the city reached 105F.
The university student was rushed from Nilton Santos Stadium to a local hospital, where she later died.
The post-mortem examination by the Forensic Medical Institute of Rio de Janeiro showed that the Benevides had been exposed to extreme heat.
Ana Benevides (pictured) died of heat exhaustion after falling ill during a Taylor Swift concert in Rio de Janeiro on November 17. The autopsy report revealed that her exposure to extreme heat caused her to go into cardiac arrest and severely damaged her lungs.
Taylor Swift had to move the second show of 'The Eras Tour' in Rio de Janeiro due to extreme temperatures after a fan died after fainting during her first concert in the city on November 17
Taylor Swift fans used umbrellas to protect themselves from the extreme heat as they waited to enter the concert venue
Exposure to the heat caused the woman to suffer cardiovascular shock and damage to her lungs, eventually causing her death.
The report also found that Benevides died of alveolar hemorrhage, a rupture in the blood vessels that supply blood to the lungs, and polyvisceral congestion, paralysis of the lungs caused by the extreme heat.
It was also said that she had no pre-existing conditions or substance abuse that could have led to her death.
Benevides was watching the first two's concert with her friends when she fainted.
Ana Benevides suffered two cardiac arrests and died in a Rio de Janeiro hospital after falling ill during a Taylor Swift concert in Rio de Janeiro on November 17.
Ana Benevides poses with one of her friends just before she became ill from the extreme heat at the Taylor Swift concert and died in a hospital
She was resuscitated after 40 minutes and went into cardiac arrest in an ambulance. Doctors treated Benavides and were unable to save her life.
Fans at the show were exposed to temperatures – the main index exceeded 140 degrees Celsius at Nilton Santos Stadium, where security banned them from bringing their own water.
Firefighters at the concert reported that at least 1,000 fans fainted from the heat.
The second concert, scheduled for November 18, was moved to November 20 due to the extreme temperatures.
“The safety and well-being of my fans, fellow artists and crew must and will always come first,” Swift wrote on one of her social media channels.