Sin City gets racy! Construction workers tear Las Vegas apart to prepare for upcoming F1 race, giving fascinating glimpse behind gambling capital’s glitzy edifice
Sin City has started preparations for its first Formula 1 race since the 1980s, with construction crews taking apart the famous strip in preparation.
With the race two weeks away, organizers have stepped up preparations for the event, which local officials say will raise $1.3 billion.
Preparations so far include draining the gondola area at the Venetian hotel, as well as the construction of temporary bridges for traffic.
Photos and videos have emerged on social media showing how the desert city was quickly turned upside down in preparation for the event.
In one video, the canals around the ever-popular Venetian Hotel have been drained – apparently in preparation for the event.
So far, preparations have been made: the gondola section at the Venetian hotel is being drained
The area outside The Venetian will be transformed into a seating area for F1, similar to the concept above
The video shows staff using large pumps to drain the popular canals surrounding the hotel, just a few meters from the strip.
According to a map of the race layout, this area will become the Venetian Zone, a viewing platform along the track where guests can watch the action.
Meanwhile, temporary bleachers are being built lakeside in front of the Bellagio, hiding the resort’s famous fountains from view, the Las Vegas broadcaster said. 8newsnow.
Construction work to the front of the hotel has led to barriers to pedestrian access, while lanes are also restricted.
Video shows temporary bridges being installed on the strip to ease traffic congestion.
The Mirage told it too Insider that it had closed its famous volcano attraction until December 8, with steel fencing also outside the site.
In addition, plastic screens have also been installed over pedestrian bridges that cross the strip, apparently to block the video of the race track.
Screens on the bridge between Wynn Las Vegas and The Venetian are already starting to be taken down, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal.
Due to the widespread disruption caused by the preparations, tourists told local channel KNV about their problems with the unrest.
Karen Ritter, who traveled to Las Vegas from Pittsburgh this weekend, told the outlet, “It’s not fair, I feel like they should have waited a while to start this construction so that the people who come here can enjoy of the actual Las Vegas experience. Vegas.”
According to Ritter, even walking around the strip was tough because of the constant construction.
With the race two weeks away, organizers have ramped up preparations for the event, which local officials say will raise $1.3 billion.
Vehicles pass a Formula 1 construction site at the Bellagio Fountains on Monday, September 25, 2023
Workers stand at a Formula 1 construction site near the Bellagio Fountains on Monday, September 25, 2023
She added, “Like everything here is closed and you look over there and all you see is metal everywhere and you see orange pylons everywhere.
“It’s not what Vegas is about, you come here for glamor and this is a mess.”
Despite her troubles, Ohio’s Kelly Haplin told the paper, “As unfortunate as it is, I think we’re bringing some more industry to Vegas, it sounds like there’s some cool stuff going on, it’s hard not to support it to have. ‘
The Las Vegas Grand Prix events are scheduled from November 16 to 18, with the race itself taking place on the final night.
Organizers say around 100,000 spectators are expected to attend this year’s event, and it will continue to take place every year until 2032.
The last time the city hosted an F1 race was in 1982, when it was home to the Caesars Palace Grand Prix.
Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes drive on the track during the launch party of the 2023 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Las Vegas on November 5, 2022
The last time the city hosted an F1 race was in 1982, when it was home to the Caesars Palace Grand Prix
Jim Gibson, chairman of the Clark County Commission, admitted as much 8newsnow that there was a ticking timeline for the Grand Prix from the start.
When asked if it happened too fast, Gibson said, “It happened a lot fast anyway.
“Once we started it was clear that the race was going to be a real challenge for us and the entire community.”
Gibson also told the outlet that it will be at least two years before he can say the investment was worth the disruption it brought.
In defending the project, the committee chairman pointed to money the province is expected to receive.
The chairman said the province would receive $100 million in taxes, along with an expected $1.3 billion in spending that he said will “stay here in the valley.”
He added that approximately 7,700 jobs with a payroll of $360 million have been created or activated for the race.