Pro-Palestine protesters swarm the ABC’s headquarters over its coverage of Israel-Hamas conflict
Dozens of pro-Palestinian demonstrators have gathered outside the ABC to protest the broadcaster’s coverage of the conflict between Israel and Hamas.
The group held large “Free Palestine” banners and sang outside the ABC headquarters in Ultimo, in Sydney’s CBD, about 5pm on Friday.
Footage uploaded to Twitter showed supporters waving Palestine flags while chanting “shame on Guardian, shame on SMH, shame on ABC.”
A woman using a megaphone was heard shouting “shame, shame Albanian” as supporters chanted “in our thousands, in our millions, we are all Palestinians.”
Twitter group ‘ASU Members for Palestine’ posted footage of the protest on Twitter with the caption: ‘I wonder if the ABC will report on the protests outside their studio and hold them to account for parroting IDF talking points …’
In another post, the same group accused the ABC of providing the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) with a platform on which to post their “propaganda.”
The group held large ‘Free Palestine’ banners and sang outside the ABC headquarters at Ultimo, in Sydney’s CBD (pictured) at about 5pm on Friday before moving to Central Station.
A woman with a megaphone was heard shouting “shame, shame Albanian” as supporters chanted “with thousands in our millions, we are all Palestinians” (pictured)
“Everyone can see that Israel is deliberately killing civilians and cutting them off from medical aid and communications. Collective punishment and war crimes,” the message said.
“Yet our national broadcaster comes up with IDF talking points or we let them go.” undisputed.’
Ny Breaking Australia has contacted the ABC for comment.
The demonstrators moved to the Grand Concourse at Central Station, where they called out Anthony Albanese for his government’s response to the conflict.
A NSW Police spokesperson told Ny Breaking police had not been informed of the protest.
The protest comes after the ABC aired a controversial episode of Q&A on Monday night discussing the war between Israel and Gaza without a live audience.
Instead, panellists heard questions from members of the public via video link.
Host Patricia Kavelas acknowledged the “difficult and sensitive discussion” that will take place, given the sensitive topic.
There was also a “very important police contingent” stationed outside the ABC Melbourne studios, she told viewers.
The protest comes after the ABC aired a controversial episode of Q&A on Monday night discussing the Israel-Gaza war without a live audience (pictured)
The discussion became tense when the national chairman of the Australia/Israel and Jewish Affairs Council, Mark Leibler, and the head of the Australia Palestine Advocacy Network, Nasser Mashni, clashed over the protests being held in Australia.
The panel was asked whether the popular chant heard at pro-Palestine rallies, “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free,” was actually a call to “wipe out Israel.”
Mr Leibler said the saying was a “racist comment” and implied there was “no room for a state of Israel”. He accused pro-Palestinian protests of celebrating violence, but his comments were immediately criticized by Mr Mashni.
Mr Mashni said Mr Leibler was “smearing our entire people”.
“We’re being killed, we’re being blamed, we’re being smeared,” he said.
“The reality is we have 75 years of oppression and 75 years of denial. Palestinians are just people.
“We have the right like everyone else to live in peace and holiness.”
Israel has since launched a devastating attack in Gaza, killing more than 11,000 people – including more than 4,500 children (photo: destruction in Gaza earlier this week)
Since the start of the war, which began on October 7, a series of pro-Palestinian protests have been held across Australia.
Thousands gathered on the steps of Sydney’s Opera House last month in chaotic scenes as Palestinian protesters lit flares and chanted “f*** the Jews.”
At one point there were even chants of ‘gas the Jews’.
Israel has since launched a devastating attack in Gaza, killing more than 11,000 people, including more than 4,500 children. At least 1,200 people are estimated to have been killed following Hamas’s attack on Israel last month.