Oregon middle school refuses to say if hulking bully filmed pulverizing much smaller girl to floor on hallway is transgender, after sickening clip triggered bomb threat
An Oregon school has declined to comment on whether a school bully who pulverized a smaller girl on the floor of a high school hallway is transgender.
The incident happened last week at Hazelbrook Middle School in Tualatin, school spokesperson Traci Rose said The Oregonian that federal law prohibited them from discussing a student’s gender identity.
Horrific video footage viewed millions of times online shows the aggressor – a well-built student in girls’ clothing – she dragged another smaller female student down the hallway by her backpack before pulling her hair and hitting her several times.
The attack was so violent that the victim burst into tears, with the girl filmed saying through sobs: “I can’t breathe.”
No further information has emerged about the cause of the assault, although the way it was filmed suggested it was pre-planned.
The names and ages of the two students have not been released, but the clip has sparked outrage after being widely shared online. Commentators claiming the bully is transgender say it is a horrific example of how gender ideology compromises girls’ safety. DailyMail.com has not been able to confirm whether the bully is indeed transgender.
An Oregon school could not say whether a school bully who knocked a smaller girl to the ground is transgender
The incident took place at Hazelbrook Middle School in Tualatin and the student was seen dragging another student down the hallway by her backpack before pulling her hair and punching her several times.
The school was forced to evacuate everyone on Friday after threats of bombs and a school shooting following the uproar over the attack.
Tualatin police arrested the alleged attacker, who is now charged with assault and the case has been referred to the Washington County Juvenile Division, according to Oregon Live.
The school was forced to evacuate everyone on Friday after threats of bombs and shots were fired at the school following uproar over the attack.
Images of the attack at Hazelbrook Middle School sparked reactions on social media.
A student wearing a green hoodie and black pants is seen violently pulling a smaller girl to the ground by her backpack.
The alleged attacker then punches her before dragging her by her hair and punching her four more times.
It was shared by former competitive swimmer Riley Gaines, who is campaigning against transgender women’s participation in women’s sports after being forced to race against controversial trans athlete Lia Thomas.
The day after the clip was shared, bomb threats were made against the homes of school and district employees and city officials.
Hazelbrook Middle School was forced to evacuate its staff and students after threats were also made about a school shooting. The intimidating messages arrived via social media and email.
The school board released a statement Thursday about the video and how those featured in it had not consented to its sharing.
Video of the incident went viral on Thursday with unproven claims that the student who hit the girl is transgender
The student, wearing a green hoodie and black pants, violently pulls a smaller girl to the ground by her backpack
The alleged attacker then punches her before dragging her by her hair and punching her four more times
The crying victim slowly gets up and says, “I’m sorry, I didn’t do anything,” and tells the other students that she can’t breathe
It said the clip inspired “false information and a focus and discourse on sexual identity.”
“These actions have contributed to the trauma that individuals and families are already experiencing.” No clarification was given as to what ‘false information’ was shared.
On Friday, a petition circulated among parents calling for stricter consequences for student violence, especially for repeat offenders.
Shortly afterwards, a second incident was shared online in which the same student allegedly pushed another girl to the ground.
A third student tried to get involved and the alleged attacker began punching her before throwing her to the ground and continuing to punch her.
The fight ended quickly after an adult’s voice was heard, causing them to retreat.
Dr. Sue Rieke-Smith, the district’s chief inspector, said the second incident looked “horrendous” but had been addressed by the principal and her staff.
“Now that (the second video) has come to the attention of this office, I am also concerned about a repeating pattern and all the components surrounding it,” she said.
Dr. Sue Rieke-Smith, the district’s chief inspector, said the second incident looked “horrific” but had been addressed by the principal and her staff
The school board released a statement Thursday about the video and how those featured in it had not consented to its sharing
“I need to get more information from the school so I can understand that incident, how it was investigated and how it relates to the (other) incident.” That is the work ahead of me.’
She defended the district’s discipline policy, which points out how students can learn from their mistakes, especially when they involve minor behavioral infractions. This can include bullying and physical contact that is not abuse.
“Zero tolerance is inconsistent with our work as educators,” she said Friday.
“If it is safe for the victim and the school community as a whole to give the student the opportunity to relearn different behaviors, then that is what we do.”
But once it escalates into an attack, she said, “there’s no tolerance for that.” That’s an immediate reference to the police and that’s what happened in the incident that went viral.
DailyMail.com has contacted Hazelbrook Middle School and Tualatin Police for comment.