Nick Carter’s defamation countersuit against sexual assault accuser Melissa Schuman is allowed to proceed by Las Vegas judge… as Backstreet Boys star faces fresh assault allegation from another woman dating back to 2003
Nick Carter’s countersuit against Dream singer Melissa Schuman may continue, a judge from Las Vegas ruled on Wednesday.
The 43-year-old entertainer was in court for a hearing after Schuman, 39, and her father Jerome tried to block a countersuit he brought after she sued him alleging he sexually assaulted her in 2002. TMZ reported Wednesday.
On Wednesday, Judge Nancy Allf allowed the Backstreet Boys singer’s lawsuit to proceed, saying Carter had shown the court enough evidence to warrant the lawsuit.
Carter faced charges of sexual assault and assault from Schuman in April in a lawsuit over an alleged 2002 incident that took place at an apartment in Santa Monica, California. TMZ reported, citing court documents.
Schuman accused Carter of forcing her to perform and perform oral sex at a time when he was 22 and she was 18. She said her first sexual experience was with Carter, despite urging him that she didn’t want sex have until she got married.
The latest: Nick Carter’s countersuit against Dream singer Melissa Schuman may continue, a judge from Las Vegas ruled on Wednesday. Carter, 43, was photographed in New York in December
The Backstreet Boys singer was in court for a hearing after Schuman, 39, and her father tried to block a countersuit he brought after she sued him for sexually assaulting her in 2002.
Carter’s attorney Liane K. Wakayama told DailyMail.com in a statement: “For years, Melissa and Jerome Schuman have conspired with anyone they could manipulate to make false claims against Nick Carter in a brazen attempt to get rich from him. ‘
Schuman filed a police report against Carter with the Santa Monica Police Department in 2018, but prosecutors did not pursue the case at the time.
In filing the lawsuit earlier this year, Schuman cited a new California bill that would allow for the lifting of the statute of limitations on civil lawsuits because she hopes a judge will review the information in the case.
Dailymail.com has contacted Schuman representatives for comment on the latest developments.
Carter has been accused of sexual assault by two other women in separate lawsuits.
The Everybody (Backstreet’s Back) artist has denied all allegations leveled against him in the separate lawsuits.
On Tuesday, he denied allegations of sexual assault by a woman in a new lawsuit over an alleged 2003 incident that happened when she was 15 and he was 23.
The woman claims that Carter sexually assaulted her on a yacht and later on a bus after getting her drunk. TMZ reported Tuesday after reviewing court documents. According to the newspaper, the woman has not identified herself in the lawsuit.
Carter’s attorney Dale Hayes Jr. told the newspaper that the woman reported her allegations to the police in 2003.
Carter has been accused of sexual assault by two other women in separate lawsuits. The entertainer was pictured at a concert in New York last year
Singer Melissa Schuman, pictured in LA in 2018, initially filed the claims against Carter in 2017, citing a new California law that paved the way for the latest lawsuit
Carter, who has denied all charges, filed suit against one of his accusers in Las Vegas in February
Hayes said authorities had not gathered enough evidence in their investigation of the alleged incident to charge Carter. Hayes claimed that the woman accusing Carter “is repeating the same false accusations in a new legal complaint” and that as a result they “are no longer true.”
In February, Carter named Schuman in a $2.3 million lawsuit against Shannon Ruth, who also accused Carter of sexual assault. TMZ reported.
In the lawsuit brought by Carter, the boy band alum said Schuman coached Ruth in an extortion attempt that he says cost him millions in lost wages.
Carter’s lawyer Wakayama told TMZ about the legal action at the time: “Melissa Schuman has been spreading this story for many years, but her claim was false when she first did it in 2017 – and still is.”
Wakayama told the newspaper that “a judge in Nevada has recently ruled, after reviewing the extensive evidence we have presented, that there are strong grounds for Nick Carter to proceed with his lawsuit against Ms. Schuman for plans to have Nick, his father, to damage, slander and extort. employees, his friends and his family.’
The pop star has denied allegations from three separate women who accuse him of sexual assault
Nick was photographed in January 2001, around the time the alleged attacks took place
Nick’s younger brother Aaron Carter was found dead at his home in Lancaster, California last November at the age of 34. An autopsy revealed that he drowned in his bathtub after consuming Xanax and gasping. Pictured in LA in 2017
Ruth, who said she is autistic and has cerebral palsy, filed suit in December 2022 alleging Carter got her drunk and sexually assaulted her on a tour bus in 2001 when she was 17.
Carter said this in March in legal documents reviewed by TMZ that he had twelve witnesses present on the evening of the concert who could prove that Ruth’s claims were “actually impossible.”
Nick’s younger brother Aaron Carter was found dead at his home in Lancaster, California last November at the age of 34. An autopsy revealed that he drowned in his bathtub after consuming Xanax and gasping.