Kate and Prince William condemn Hamas terror attacks on Israelis saying they are ‘profoundly distressed by the devastating events’
The Prince and Princess of Wales condemned Hamas’ terror attack on Israeli civilians and said they were ‘deeply disturbed by the devastating events that have unfolded in recent days’.
William visited Israel and Palestine in 2018, making him the first member of the British royal family to visit the Jewish state in an official capacity.
A spokesperson for the royal couple said in a statement: ‘As Israel exercises its right to self-defence, all Israelis and Palestinians will continue to be haunted by grief, fear and anger in the time to come.
‘Their Royal Highnesses hold all the victims, their families and their friends in their hearts and minds.
‘Those who met the Prince of Wales in 2018 overwhelmingly shared a common hope – that of a better future. In the midst of such terrible suffering, The Prince and Princess continue to share that hope without reservation.’
The king earlier said he was “moved” by and condemned the “barbaric acts” of terrorism in Israel, Buckingham Palace announced today.
The Prince and Princess of Wales condemned Hamas’ terrorist attack on Israeli civilians
“Their Royal Highnesses keep all the victims, their families and their friends in their hearts and minds,” a spokesman said on their behalf
Prince William met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife Sara during his visit to the country in 2018
Charles is said to be ‘extremely concerned’ about the situation and has asked to be actively updated in the wake of Hamas’ attacks.
A palace spokesman said the monarch’s thoughts and prayers were with all those suffering, especially those who have lost loved ones.
Israel vowed unprecedented retaliation against the Palestinian terror group Hamas after its fighters stormed the border fence on Saturday, shooting hundreds of Israelis in their homes, on the street and at an outdoor music festival.
The Israeli government launched a major retaliatory airstrikes on Gaza, halting the transit of food, water, fuel and medicine to the area.
King Charles – seen in Aberdeenshire earlier this month – is ‘appalled’ by and condemns the ‘barbaric acts’ of terrorism in Israel
The number of people killed in Hamas attacks on Israel has risen above 1,200, officials said.
These include 260 revelers gunned down at a music festival, and entire families – including children and babies – killed in a kibbutz.
Israeli airstrikes on Gaza have killed 900 Palestinians, according to the territory’s health ministry.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: ‘This is a situation which His Majesty is extremely concerned about and he has asked to be kept actively informed.
“His thoughts and prayers are with all those who are suffering, especially those who have lost loved ones, but also those who are actively involved as we speak.”
He added: ‘His Majesty is appalled by and condemns the barbaric acts of terrorism in Israel.’
British Foreign Secretary James Cleverly arrived in Israel today to show Britain’s ‘unwavering solidarity’ with their Middle East ally.
Officials said he would meet survivors of the attacks and senior Israeli leaders ‘to outline UK support for Israel’s right to defend itself’.
Mr Cleverly said today that a ‘significant number’ of British-Israeli citizens were caught up in the conflict, which has already claimed at least 2,100 lives on both sides.
At least seventeen British citizens are currently feared dead or missing, the BBC reported – citing an official source. Previous estimates put the figure at 10.
A Foreign Office spokesman: ‘The Foreign Secretary arrived in Israel today to demonstrate the UK’s unwavering solidarity with the Israeli people following the Hamas terror attacks.
“He will meet survivors of the attacks and senior Israeli leaders to outline UK support for Israel’s right to defend itself.”
Today, Israeli forces carried out 250 airstrikes in just one hour over northern and eastern parts of the Gaza Strip.
An Israeli army self-propelled howitzer fires rounds near the Gaza border in southern Israel today
Destruction from Israeli aerial bombardment is seen in Gaza City today
The British and American governments gave firm support to Benjamin Netanyahu’s administration in the wake of the invasion by Palestinian terrorists.
Mr Cleverly’s visit to Israel comes amid fears that the conflict, which has already claimed at least 2,100 lives on both sides, could escalate further.
The British government has not confirmed any figures for those believed to be dead or missing, indicating the fast-moving situation in the region.
Among those known to have died is Nathanel Young, 20, who was serving in the Israeli army when he was killed in the Hamas attack.
Bernard Cowan, who grew up around Glasgow, also died.
Jack Marlowe, 26, who went to the same London school as Mr Young, is believed to be missing, while photographer Dan Darlington is feared dead.
A post from mr. Darlington’s sister, Shelley, said on social media that he was ‘murdered’ at Nir Oz, a kibbutz in southern Israel.
His death has not been officially confirmed.
A mourner reacts today as he buries the body of a Palestinian child from al-Agha family, killed in Israeli strikes, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip.