Jake Paul announces total unknown as his next boxing opponent, leaving fans unimpressed despite his claims of ‘delivering’ a major rival
Jake Paul has announced a completely unknown fight as his next fight as he confirmed he will enter the ring before the end of the year.
The YouTuber, who has previously fought the high-profile MMA star, has chosen a different route in an attempt to legitimize his place in the boxing world.
Paul, who suffered the first defeat of his career against Tommy Fury but returned to victory against Nate Diaz in August, revealed he will face Andre August on Friday, December 15 in Orlando, Florida.
In a press release on Wednesday, Paul said: ‘I’m a professional boxer and I want to be a world champion, so I have to follow the path to greatness against people who have been boxing all their lives.’
August, 35, is a professional boxer who has won 10 of 12 fights, five of which he won by knockout.
Jake Paul has revealed that he will face Andre August on Friday, December 15 in Orlando, Florida
Paul returned to victory against Nate Diaz in August after suffering a loss in February
The only defeat the American cruiserweight has suffered was against Eric Abraham in 2018.
Paul took to social media on Wednesday to announce the fight, leaving fans unimpressed despite claims he had ‘delivered’ a major rival.
He tweeted: ‘Ask and I will deliver. August has more KOs than me, more wins than me, more experience than me, but I like to gamble. The road to world champion starts here. Just straight boxing.’
Boxing fans were quick to downplay the magnitude of the fight and emphasize their disappointment.
“Andre August is 35 years old and has a record of 10-1-1. He has fought once in the past four years. Another DIY old boxer,” one fan commented.
Another added with a pointed question: “Bro, are you just picking people off the streets at this point?”
A third intervened and said: ‘We don’t watch it.’
More to follow.