Dylan was bitten by a mosquito on a camping trip. Days later he was left fighting for his life in a hospital bed

A young Australian was left fighting for his life after being bitten by mosquitoes during a camping trip.

Dylan Meyer, 21, was camping with his friends in Rutherglen, northern Victoria, when he was bitten by the insects in March 2023.

Mr. Meyer didn't think about it until he returned to work days later and suddenly became ill, vomiting uncontrollably and fainting.

He was rushed to a hospital in Albury and then to Melbourne after his condition rapidly deteriorated.

Mr Meyer was put on a ventilator while his heartbroken mother Debra Meyer-Saunders admitted she expected the worst and made plans for his funeral.

Dylan Meyer (pictured) spent four months in intensive care after being bitten by a mosquito during a camping trip

Doctors told her he was suffering from Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV), Murray Valley encephalitis virus and autoimmune encephalitis.

Mr Meyer, who trained as a diesel mechanic and enjoys fishing in his spare time, said he did not earn much from it.

'I was aware of the virus. I just didn't think anything of it. I thought it was just another mosquito bite,” he told the newspaper ABC.

The 21-year-old was released from hospital in September, four months after being bitten by the mosquitoes.

Mrs Meyer-Saunders said it was difficult to get her son back home to help manage his ongoing recovery.

“I know most people think it would be easy, but it was hard because we brought Dylan home with a wheelchair, a walker, a shower chair, a commode chair and a regular chair,” she said.

Dylan (pictured), an aspiring diesel mechanic who enjoys fishing in his spare time, urged others to protect themselves from the virus

Dylan (pictured), an aspiring diesel mechanic who enjoys fishing in his spare time, urged others to protect themselves from the virus

Mr. Meyer has now begun to perform daily tasks on his own, but still requires assistance.

A few weeks ago he went fishing for the first time since he was bitten by mosquitoes.

Mr Myer has also returned to work as a diesel mechanic for a few hours a week as he aims to return to work full-time.

He said he was lucky to survive the horrific ordeal and urged others to take the deadly disease seriously by getting vaccinated.

“I want everyone to know that this virus can and will kill you, get the vaccine and cover it up,” he said.

What is the Japanese encephalitis virus?

The virus is spread by mosquito bites and currently has no form of treatment.

The virus causes an infection that can lead to fever, headache and vomiting

JEV can cause serious illness and death in 40 percent of cases, but this can be due to several factors, such as underlying health conditions.

People are advised to cover themselves by wearing loose clothing and using insect repellent to protect themselves from mosquitoes when outdoors.

As of January 2021, 45 people have been infected with JEV in Australia, seven of whom have died.

Those who are vulnerable to the disease are advised to take the JEV vaccine or speak to their GP.