Don’t buy an iPhone 14 this Black Friday
Black Friday itself is still a few weeks away, but retailers in both the US and UK are already offering some strong Black Friday iPhone deals on older-generation Apple smartphones like the iPhone 14, iPhone 13 and iPhone SE ( 2022).
That’s why it’s a good time to buy one of Apple’s best iPhones cheaply. But which model should you choose? Will you save big on the iPhone SE (2022) or iPhone 13, will you save small on the iPhone 14, or will you skip the discounts altogether and opt for the newly released iPhone 15?
Well, let’s give you some advice for free: don’t buy the standard iPhone 14 this Black Friday. You’re much better off saving money by going for the iPhone 13, or taking the plunge for Apple’s excellent iPhone 15 if you can can afford to expand your budget a little. Let us explain why.
If you’re just looking for a capable iPhone at a lower price, Apple’s standard iPhone 13 is pretty much the same phone as the iPhone 14, but cheaper. Their designs are identical, their cameras are (almost) identical, and their chipsets are separated by just one generation – which in Apple terms means next to nothing. A full breakdown of the differences between these two devices can be found in our iPhone 14 vs iPhone 13 comparison. But rest assured that these differences are not nearly as great as the current price difference.
At the time of writing, you can pick up the iPhone 14 at Best Buy in the US for $679.99 (was $729.99), or Amazon in the UK for £649 (down from £699). The iPhone 13, on the other hand, costs as little as $489.95 at Walmart now, while UK buyers can grab the device Amazon for a record low £549.
In other words, the iPhone 14 currently costs $190 more than the iPhone 13, but all you get for that premium is… satellite connectivity and slightly better imaging. Really, you’re better off buying the iPhone 13, plus two years of AppleCare and one of the best iPhone 13 cases for the same money.
Likewise, Apple’s latest standard model, the iPhone 15, represents its biggest generational upgrade in years, offering so many more phones for its starting price of $799 / £849 / AU$1,339 than the iPhone 14 ever did (you’ll find a full overview of the main differences in our comparison between iPhone 15 and iPhone 14). If you can afford to stretch your budget to that kind of money, go for the iPhone 15, even if it’s not discounted for Black Friday (this time the $100/£200 premium on Apple’s newer phone ). is worth the effort).
It is also worth clarifying that we are only talking about the standard models here. The iPhone 14 Pro – which is currently on sale at AT&T in the US And Amazon in Great Britain – is certainly worth considering against the newer iPhone 15 Pro, whose upgrades are limited to a slightly better chipset, titanium sides, the Action button and USB-C connectivity. If you just want a super-fast iPhone with Dynamic Island and 120Hz scrolling, then the now cheaper iPhone 14 Pro remains an excellent choice.
The iPhone 14 Plus is also a strong choice. We’re less critical of Apple’s first Plus-sized base model, given its hugely impressive battery data and gorgeous Pro Max-sized screen, and there’s no iPhone 13 Plus model to directly compare it to either. Sure, you get the Dynamic Island and a 48MP camera with the more expensive iPhone 15 Plus, but if you’re willing to forego those features then the iPhone 14 Plus – which is currently on sale at Best Buy in the US and Amazon in Great Britain – definitely worth considering.
Just don’t buy the standard iPhone 14 this Black Friday. It’s not a bad phone by any means – it’s just a bad price right now.
More early Black Friday deals (US)
- Amazon: 50% discount on TVs, air fryers, AirPods and clothing
- Apple: AirPods Pro, Apple Watch 8 and iPads from $99
- Adidas: 40% discount on running shoes, sweatshirts and leggings
- Beauty: 51% off viral makeup, skin care and hair tools
- Best Buy: up to $800 off 4K TVs, laptops and headphones
- Bed bath and beyond: 65% off sitewide + free shipping
- Cheap TVs: Big screen 4K TVs starting at $269.99
- Christmas: 40% off decor, pajamas and trees
- Del: save on the best-selling Inspiron and XPS laptops
- DreamCloud: 40% discount on all mattresses
- Family pajamas: matching Christmas pajamas starting at $12.99
- Lowe’s: up to $800 off major appliances
- Nectar: mattress deals starting at $359
- Noordstrom: 30% off Nike, Levi’s, Skims, Adidas and more
- Purple: up to $400 off purple mattresses
- Samsung: up to $2,000 worth of TVs, phones and appliances
- Goal: 40% discount on furniture, TVs, clothing and appliances
- Toys: Disney, Barbie, Lego and board games starting at $14.99
- Walmart: $800 off toys, TVs, vacuums and clothing
More early Black Friday deals (UK)
- Amazon: up to 62% off technology and gifts
- AO: up to 40% discount on vacuum cleaners, appliances and technology
- Argos: early deals are active now: up to 50% off toys and tech
- Boots: up to 40% discount on thousands of beauty products
- Curries: up to 40% discount on TVs, air fryers, laptops and more
- Ecopper: up to 45% discount on laptops and PC components
- John Lewis: up to 40% discount on appliances, TVs and laptops
- Jessops: up to £550 off Sony, Canon, Nikon and Fujifilm
- O2: up to £600 off iPhone, Samsung and Google
- Samsung: up to £600 off TVs, phones and appliances
- Super drug: 60% discount on beauty, fragrances and makeup
- Terribly: discounts on technology, appliances, furniture and beauty
- Vodafone: Six-month half-price SIM cards from £11.50